Well, we really are country living now. After dinner and giving Cody a bath and settling him down to bed. I stripped the stems from some mixed greens I got from the neighbors garden and now they are boiling in some chicken stock. TJ was out in the yard mowing and I took the stems and leftover watermelon rind to the compost. Thinking I would just be quick about it I didn't bother to put shoes on. Well I thought it best to churn the compost up a bit. Knowing we had a corn snake lurking near the shed I was careful to get the cultivator to turn the compost. No snake in sight so I grabbed the tool and headed back to the bin. Whew stinky compost and lots of bugs. While thinking to myself I need to tend to it more often I disturbed the sleeping corn snake in the mess of rotting kitchen waste. UGH! I ran and got TJ. We've been hunting him for a while. WELL there were 2 in the bin. I guess it was nice and warm for them to snuggle. TJ got 'em using almost all the tools we have. No I never got bit and my feet are safe. No more shoeless trips to the compost.
Ever since becoming a mommy I am way more defensive of my surroundings. I have a little cub to take care of and keep safe.
This spring and summer has been full little critters. From the groundhog family taking up residence under our shed. (I hired Travis next door to take care of the mommy and scatter the family) to the rabbits who love to munch my beans and tomatoes and the snakes who don't stand a chance against my husband we are country living.
mmmm I can smell the greens cookin time to give 'em a stir and pull them off the stove.
Monday, July 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment