Friday, January 16, 2009

Totally bummed


Drove myself into work today. I took the Jetta, the sweet turbo charged Jetta. While on 95 a rouge chunk of metal came at me. I know it was metal by the sound it made when it collided with the under carriage of the Jetta. I saw the car in front of me react to straddle the chunk and before I could do any maneuvering it bounded its way to me. Rather than swerve, not an option due to being in the middle lane. I remained steady and took the blow, hoping it was plastic or rubber. No such luck. Pulled over to the emergency lane as fast as I could. The emergency highway truck came minutes later and set up cones for me. He checked it out, thinking I might be able to make it to the exit ramp but as soon as he looked the Jetta was not going anywhere w/o a tow.

AAA came and towed the Jetta to our mechanic. After thanking Walter the tow truck driver for a warm ride I walked myself to work from the shop. Work is only a block away. I needed to decompress from the mornings ordeal.

The metal chunk tore a hole in the oil pan. $$$ to replace. Just super.

The dreaded call came later -- the lack of oil ruined the engine. Double super. Most likely it is totaled and the Jetta will move on to a new home.

Thank goodness Sesame and I are safe... many other things could have gone wrong but they didn't.

If anyone has been to our house the will know this but for those of you who have not take comfort in the fact that there are three other cars for us to drive. Yes living out in the country one tends to collect vehicles. We have been planning on selling one but the Jetta was not originally on the short list.

RIP Jetta Wagon.

2 comments:

  1. I'll second that..thank goodness you and Sesame are safe !!!!!!!!Good driving skills Hilary !
    As a country dweller, I must agree that a stable of road ready vechiles is a must....at least that's what Uncle Gene keeps telling me.
    You and Sesame take care.
    Love you,
    Auntie Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary! Thankfully you are both ok. As for the Jetta.. sad, but that's what insurance is for. :)

    ReplyDelete