Thursday, February 19, 2009

Daddy's Point of View

So I went to bed late thinking, "sweet I get to sleep in because tomorrow is Presidents day and I have off!" I had some chores to finish up around the house like the laundry, sanding some dry wall and painting it in the bathrooms, fixing a few things in the nursery, vacuuming and dusting the house.

Then I get a kiss on the neck and a whisper in my ear. My first thought is WOW it's morning all ready and Hilary is on her way to work. Then I heard in this sweet low loving voice, "TJ I think my water just broke". I was calm rolled over to the clock and looked at the time. It was only 1:00 A.M. so my wife asked what she should do. She later told me at that moment she forgot all about the stuff we learned in our 6 week birthing class. I told her just relax that we have 24 hours before the doctors would get worried about an infection. So we laided back down in bed and try to rest. YEAH RIGHT!!! I we did was lay wide awake and talk. That is when we decided to call the Doc. Of course you already know their answer. Hilary told me they wanted us to go to the hospital so I didn't rush (one because MY Bag wasn't packed) and I jumped in the shower clean up. When I got out of the shower Hilary was downstairs ready to go and was starting to get anxious.

As I drove into Fredericksburg it was kind of nice not having any traffic at 2:30 in the morning. We arrived at the Emergency Room around 3ish and it was quite busy. We checked in and was taking right away upstairs to the Birthing Center.

This next part I am going to speed up for you or we will be here all day.

Got up stairs they checked out Hilary she was only 1 cm dilated but her water did break. We were admitted and then put her on Potocin because her water broke and she didn't have any contraction yet. This worried us because we wanted to have no pain medication for this birth and we learned in class that Potocin made the contractions stronger than normal. We talked about and said we would see how it would go and do all our breathing and position techniques.

So Potocin started at 4:30. at 8:30 contractions we small and not strong and she was still 1 cm. By 11 am she was 2 cm. It was going to be a long day. Her sister Kim came about 11:30 am to help us out. We figured she was the Matriarch of the family now since both our mothers have passed. So we did our breathing techniques, used our focal point training, changed positions every hour, used relaxation techniques, pretty much everything we learned in class. At 3:30 p.m. my dad arrived with food and support from the waiting room. This would be the last time I saw him until after the baby arrived because Hilary was starting to get in a lot of pain and needed me there to keep her focus.

I won't go into anymore details about the labor but I just want to let everyone know How PROUD I AM OF MY WIFE. WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

By the end of the labor my wife was having the highest contractions out there and through our relaxation techniques, breathing, and focal point she willed the pain away!!! Then the pushing came and after 20 hours sucked it up and keep on doing what she had to do. IT WAS SIMPLY THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER WITNESSED!!!

3 comments:

  1. I still can't believe Hilary was in labor for 20 hours with no meds. Amazing...

    Way to go guys! Hilary, you're a machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great Job Hilary! Four more hours of labor and you would have to name him Jack Bower(24).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hat is off to Hilary. I sure couldn't handle the contractions when I was on Pitocin, and relented and got the epidural. And 20 hours of labor is pretty strenuous stuff, but totally worth it in the end. I'm so happy for you guys and can't wait to meet Cody.

    ReplyDelete