Sunday, March 2, 2008

rainwater harvester

I have had this 55 gallon retired food/beverage container for over a year now. This barrel has been waiting to be turned into a useful rain water collector patiently and without complaint. Today is the day I will get it on it's way to becoming a useful part of the "farm."

I say farm but we really only produce enough of the standard veggies for us and the neighbors. Tomatoes, cucs, peppers, this year we'll have rows of corn.

Today I will buy some missing parts needed to get this going, a spigot to easily retrieve my bounty and various hoses for over flow and a screen to prevent muck, bugs, kids, birds, the list goes on...

This rain barrel is part of my new years resolution to a little more green. How trendy right?! Rain collecting is nothing new and I plan to join the ranks of those thousands before me who have harvested right from the source.

No comments:

Post a Comment