Wednesday, March 24, 2010

=Layer Cake=

So my birthday sharing sister and her oldest son came to town via St. Patty's Day Soccer tournament in Fredericksburg last weekend. Which J's team won all of their games. Victory! Hard fought sometimes but made for an exciting sideline as they were awesome to watch. They came and stayed the night. I made cook-to-order dinners for Cody and J. Refried bean and cheese quesadillas and corn. I prepared Chicken Rama with broccoli and jasmine rice. A peanut coconut creamy chicken Thai dish. One of my favorites. First time preparing and she was kind enough to be my guinea pig. It was awesome! I like it a little more spicy hot wise but since it was my first preparation I kept it cool. My sis brought a delicious bottle of wine for us to share. Layer Cake Primitivo aka Zinfandel from
Puglia, Italy. How fitting that our birthday is coming up and we drank cake! It paired well with the Chix Rama dish cutting the creaminess of the sauce but not interfering with the flavors. As the description mentions, "Relax on a hot summer evening, the fountain in the background, church-bells in the distance." We did that indeed. Well .. replace Summer with Spring evening at the new picnic table (Thanks Vinnie), fountain with a breeze, and church bells with Cody banging on the tray. I need to start a wine list on my iPod to keep track of what I like so I can pick them up when I am out and about. Thanks Sis for introducing me to this series of wines. I think I will try the Malbec next.

“My old grandfather told me the soils in which the vines lived were a layer cake. If properly made, the wine from these vines was like a delicious cake layered with fruit, mocha and chocolate, with hints of spice and rich, always rich. Never pass up a good Layer Cake.” ⎯ A. Orlando Tribute, Jayson Woodbridge

Happy Birthday Sis! Here's to another wonderful year of fun and crazy memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment